March 7, 218
544 Views / 10 Replies
Started by Suyis Lucain, Mar 05, 2018, 08:56 PM
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Don't love what you can't trust. Don't hate what you can't have. Don't say what you can't show. Don't judge what you don't know.
Mar 05, 2018, 08:56 PM / 557 Words

Bad news: Where the fuck was the Har'zaref?
Good news: He knew where he was, and he did, in fact, have his pants, precisely on his ass, where they were supposed to be, nor was he in the desert.

Listen, he'd done it before, gotten drunk, lost his ship (how the hell he'd ever managed to lose his skyship he'd never figured out), woke up stranded in the desert, and missing his pants. On the bright side, his boxers were hella cute, so it wasn't like it mattered terribly much. His brother would probably be rolling his eyes at him about now (and if Surya ever attempted to do such things as become inebriated enough to get lost in the desert, Suyis would... probably laugh, and say something about how they were definitely related). He still had a bottle of something in his hand - you know, after wandering around Epricia so long, he'd forgotten what he'd even bought at the tavern down... whichever way he'd come from - and was working on drinking it. Most probably, he should be more concerned about not knowing where his ship was (she was a big ship to lose track of), but Surya and... the other one. What even was his name - you know, Suyis had no idea, he just called him "Bloody Hot" in his head - were relatively good at finding him.

Maybe he'd just, wander around, singing stupid songs, until Surya came up behind him, tossed him over his shoulder, and wandered off with him. Why that guy had even done what he'd done, Suyis didn't understand, but in retrospect, if it were the other way around, if it'd been Surya that'd been Blighted, Suyis probably would've done the same. Yeah, he would've done the same.

He wouldn't admit it, of course, not to Surya, not to anyone else, not even to himself, but damn if he wasn't pissed at Surya for doing what he'd done.

Still, Suyis would've done the same. He couldn't say anything, anyway, because he knew he would. Surya meant well. Somehow, he was doing better at not losing his dang mind, not like Suyis had. But Surya was always the better son. No one had ever said that, not outright, but they'd thought it. Oh, they always thought it, everyone did, maybe even their grandparents, sometimes. It wasn't as if Suyis cared what their parents thought - they could jump off a cliff into a field of metal spikes for all Suyis gave a crap, but that was - it didn't matter.

Now, where was he on this song... he thought for a moment, glancing at the sky and wincing at the sunlight. Ah, yes, now he remembered. "I dreamed a dream the other night, lowlands, lowlands away my John~ I saw my love dressed all in white, my lowlands away~" At least he wasn't a notorious pirate; just notorious - and currently broke.
VinWritten by Karpy
Occupation
Travelling Tinker
Race
Shuyan
When teenage rebellion lasts through adulthood
Mar 05, 2018, 09:53 PM / 244 Words

Clip clop, clip clop, clip clop.

Who looked more haggard – the poor, obviously underfed mule dragging a ragged cart full of scrap parts and tools, or the scraggly girl driving said cart? It was hard to tell – both seemed skinny, hungry, and ready to fight someone.

That's because the mule (dubbed Belinda) was an irate thing, and the driver (dubbed Vin), had a similar temperment. Being irate and generally angry at the world tended be bad for business, but she at least did a damn good job when she was hired. In fact, most things she repaired were returned in better condition than they were when new.

Not that she liked to brag.

Keeping this in mind, and with an eye open for potential clients, Vin saw someone ambling down the street. Singing a sea shanty? Strange. Well, she was low on funds and didn't particularly fancy the idea of sleeping under her cart again that night, so he seemed as good a target as any.

A smile on her face, brittle and fake but oh-so-necessary to interact with people, she pulled her cart up next to the man. “Need any help there, sir?”

If the cart was too close for comfort, Vin didn't notice. She rarely did – the comfort of others was never her concern.

And she wondered why she could hardly ever get hired. 
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Don't love what you can't trust. Don't hate what you can't have. Don't say what you can't show. Don't judge what you don't know.
Mar 05, 2018, 10:06 PM / 295 Words

"Lookit! A girl! Wow, I didn't know there were girls in Epricia. ... then again, I suppose I don't pay attention, hmm." At the very least, she was, as it happened, a rather pretty girl. Somewhat sad-looking, but many around here were. He knew; Zetrium did well for itself, but only just enough to look upright and solid. The technology it output was, perhaps, its only real crowning glory, as Shuya had all the pretty things, Efrea had all the rest of the things, and Uclain stole whatever it didn't have. So so. Hey, maybe he should've been Uclainian.

... nah, he'd be dead if he were.

"Say, you see a ship? Biiiig ship, bout the size of... of..." Suyis squinted at the sky, again. "Well probably about as big as this district and the one over, yeah? Hard to miss. My butt is supposed to be in a chair on that big ship but, I seem, to, somehow, have misplaced it. How do you misplace a ship, say you, well let me tell you, do you know what's in this bottle?" he asked, pointing at the bottle of alcohol in his hand, from the tavern down... wherever it was. "Yeah, see, neither do I. This is a problem. ... what's my name, anyway? I don't remember that either, at the moment. But I'm looking for the big shadow, see, it's the Harza... Harzie... ... fuck, I call'er Harzie, built'er myself you know, pretty ship. Pissy ship, but you know what so am I. Hahahaha!"

Well. Whatever it was, in his hand, it'd apparently flipped his mind a bit.
VinWritten by Karpy
Occupation
Travelling Tinker
Race
Shuyan
Mar 05, 2018, 10:33 PM / 203 Words

Aaaaand apparently she made a wrong choice in potential customer.

Very wrong choice. The man seemed to be mad. Then again, her parents were known as mad – and her by extension growing up, so maybe there was more going on than drunken ravings.

Maybe.

“I hope girls exist. I don't know what I'd be otherwise.” This was her, joking. Obviously. People told jokes all the time. If he couldn't tell, it was his fault. Nevermind that she was no longer attempting to smile – the brittle attempt at being amenable now resting in a stony expression, voice completely deadpan.

“And no, I haven't seen a 'ship as big as this district'. No idea what swill you've had either.” At that, dear old Belinda decided she wanted to butt in to the conversation – whatever the stranger was holding smelled interesting, and the old mule decided that it was hers now. This, of course, resulted in the mule swerving even closer to the man, throwing Vin's cart off balance as she made a mad grab at the bottle with her mouth, teeth and all. Dear, sweet, precious Belinda. Vin loved her so.
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 05, 2018, 10:57 PM / 378 Words

Suyis, naturally, flashed a rather brilliant, if lop-sided, smile. "You'd be you. Whoever you is. Gender is irrelevant. I'd introduce myself but, yeah, all I can remember is Su. I answer to dickbag, too, if it helps." He answered to a lot of things, to be entirely honest, and yet, most of those things, he could not quite recall, at this present moment in time. It had something to do with whatever was in this bottle, he was sure. It was always whatever was in the bottle. Who knew what it was this time, because, he didn't! Neither did he particularly care, he did have to admit. It wasn't as if whatever was in it really mattered. Some may be concerned about dying, you know, drinking a lot was rarely a particularly intelligent idea. Not Suyis. Ah, what a great adventure it would be, to die. Besides, he'd built a company on the back of an invention he'd created in a half-crazed frenzy; his siblings would be perfectly fine without him. Surya was a smart individual, anyway, as was their sister.

It was rare, after all, that one of their line came out without a brain. They may not have hearts, but they did have minds.

"Shame. It's quite a nice ship." He didn't notice the mule getting at his bottle until he happened to feel the teeth - Suyis made a surprised noise, but he did surrender the bottle. "You're right, I don't need anymore, do I. Say, ever wanted to travel? See the skies? Wander wherever the hell you want? Watch the sunrise peek over the horizon beyond all this petty human squabbling? Quite a sight, if I say so. We've got several dozen engines and hover cores to keep running smooth, and if you don't like that, well, there's always swabbin' the deck, but you look a smart girl. You know you like the sound of engines purring. I do. Ahh, I could die listening to it. I probably will, someday." Yes, someday.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, that day wasn't today.
VinWritten by Karpy
Occupation
Travelling Tinker
Race
Shuyan
Mar 06, 2018, 01:23 PM / 229 Words

Well, he wasn't wrong. She would, in fact, be herself no matter what. She didn't realize that the people down here were so open minded – it was refreshing.

Either that, or he was just drunk. It was hard to tell.

Idly patting dear Belinda's hindquarters, not even bothering to scold the mule for stealing someone's alcohol, Vin pondered Su's offer. It would be nice to not have to scrape by – stable employment helped with that.

With a sigh, she finally came to a decision. A flick of her wrist, and Belinda came to the stop. “Get on, dickbag." She motioned with her head to a spot on the driver's bench next to her, "If you can show me your grand ship, I'll consider joining.” A canteen of water was procured from under the driver's seat, which Vin held out to Suyis. “You might want to sober up a bit if we're to find the damn thing. Especially considering you can hardly remember your name, let alone where you docked.. What was it, the Harzie?”

Meanwhile, there was the sound of shattering glass in front of them – poor Belinda. She didn't have hands. Drinking the swill was a doomed endeavor, and she mournfully turned her head to the two people.
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 06, 2018, 01:44 PM / 376 Words

Hey, someone that didn't argue with his choice of nickname! Some people were just too good to call him dickbag, or some variation thereof, and it wasn't as if Suyis cared. You see, Suyis cared about very little, as it was, and what collection of noises others made to get his attention ranked extremely low on the list. If it even made the list at all, to be fair, it might not. Suyis wasn't exactly thinking straight at the moment. Well, no, more accurately, his thinking was mostly in tact. It was his memory and fine motor capabilities that were lacking. He could think just fine. Of course.

Oh, right. Suyis shimmied up there (with all the grace of a newborn babe, but nobody saw that), almost fell back off, and then took the offered water. Sobriety was boring, but, she was probably right. It would, as it happened, be more useful for remembering where the heck the Harzie was. ... Harzie... Harzie... that wasn't the full name, what was it... oh. "Aww, sorry, next time I'll share properly," Suyis mentioned, talking to the mule. ... he did have to wonder how a mule was going to take being on a skyship, but he supposed that was neither here nor there, at the moment. He had to find the darn thing, first.

"Probably wherever there's a lot of space. The Har'zaref! That's'er name. She's a biggun. Whoever landed this time probably wasn't dumb enough to try landing too close to the city. That never works out, y'see." Well, once in a great while, he managed to talk someone into landing just outside the city's primary building cluster, and typically, the panic... ah, that was worth it. "I didn' land'er though, it was probably my brother. ... hey, he looks just like me, just his hair's shorter and it's white, so if we find'im first, that works too." So it did.
VinWritten by Karpy
Occupation
Travelling Tinker
Race
Shuyan
Mar 06, 2018, 09:49 PM / 326 Words

What was she getting herself into? Vin quietly hoped that she didn't wind up regretting this. She had made more stupid decisions in her life, sure, but helping a drunk man find a ship the size of a small town in exchange for a job offer... That was definitely up there on the list of Bad Ideas. Oh well. What's done is done, after all.

“Alright, we'll head for the outskirts of the city and... Go from there? Keep an eye open for this brother of yours.” With a finalizing nod and a quick snap of the reins, Belinda got moving. Quietly muttering to herself, Vin plotted their course – they would likely want to get to the nearest thoroughfare. That would lead out, and would have plenty of foot traffic. Increase the chances of running into the brother.

Which reminded her...

“What's your brother's name, by the way? Does he have some interesting nickname as well?” It would get awfully confusing if she was going to have to refer to two people by generic insults, instead of just one. “I need to know what to yell out if I see white hair in the crowd.”

Foot traffic was already starting to thicken up a bit as they made their way. Most people paid attention and gave their cart at least somewhat of a berth – those who didn't... Weren't lucky. Some people ride warhorses through crowds to make people move.

Vin had Belinda. And Belinda liked to bite people who got too close and didn't have interesting offerings to give her, so there were quite a few yelps and glares. It didn't show on Vin's face unless you looked closely, but she always found it infinitely amusing to watch people try to deal with her impossible mule. It was a spectacle that made dealing with crowds tolerable.
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 06, 2018, 10:25 PM / 445 Words

Yeah, somewhere on the outskirts sounded about right. Which outskirts, now that Suyis couldn't tell. Perhaps the east side, perhaps the west, perhaps neither. But, worst came to worst, he could remember where the hell he'd left his communica - Oh, that was a thought, where did he leave it... Suyis started patting himself down, right there, trying to remember. If he'd left it on the Har'zaref, well, there went that, but maybe it was in his shirt pockets, somewhere. One of these. Suyis did have quite a few pockets; his smooth leather jacket was covered in zippers, each to a different pocket, his pants baggy, loose, and also covered in zippers (and straps, and chains, and a couple daggers that were hidden, and spikes, there was a spike or two...). It made it easier to steal things when no one was looking, if you had pockets that were so big, it took half a pound of gold to make them sag.

Oh, yeah, "I guess names might help, he is also a Su! But he is Surya. I remember his name but I don't remember mine hahaha. I call him Tower. Because he's taller than me and towers." Suyis, as it were, wasn't really very short, being fair about it. Surya had just gotten all the height genetics in their family, it'd seem. Suyis went back to looking for the communicator. It wasn't anything special, as long as he was in range of the Har'zaref (and her range was very wide), he could contact the captain deck over the comm system. But he had to find it...

Somewhere amid them making their way through the street, Suyis heard an incessant, two-note whistling, starting at a low octave and then shooting up to a very high one. There was something about that noise that was very familiar, but he couldn't quite... ah! "You hear that whistling? My brother always said if I get lost, I should whistle so he can find me." Being as drunk as he was, Suyis went back to looking for his communicator, again, and then froze mid-way through digging in a pant pocket. "... yeah... something like that."

Suyis sat up a bit, leaning to the side so he didn't whistle right in her ear, and copied the two-note whistle. It took a few moments, but the other whistle answered, louder this time, so it was closer. "I think that's Surya."
VinWritten by Karpy
Occupation
Travelling Tinker
Race
Shuyan
Mar 11, 2018, 08:50 AM / 268 Words

Wow, the dickface really did sober quickly – he was already starting to sound more coherent. At least a little bit. Baby steps, right? That was a thing?

Vin didn't pay much mind to her new companion's rifling through his pockets, but she did seem to pay attention to his rambling. Name – check. They were looking for a Surya. That helped. And then... A whistle. A response to the distant whistle, which made the fairly frail girl visibly flinch. “Little warning, yeah? That was right in my ear.” Rubbing at her ear with one hand, Vin used the other to signal to Belinda to come to a stop at the side of the road, at least mostly out of the way of traffic.

With that, she set down the reins before standing up on the bench seat, trying to get as much height as possible. “Warning like this: this is going to be loud.” Cupping her hands around her mouth, Vin faced the crowd before bellowing as loudly as possible, “SURYA, COME GET YOUR DRUNKEN DICKFACE BROTHER. WE'RE OVER HERE.”

Seemingly satisfied, Vin nodded to herself. She continued standing, trying to make a pale beakon of herself. Which she was – flaxen hair, pale skin, pastel clothes which seemed to remain clean in spite of her profession. It was a veritable miracle, to be honest. She probably could get away with stalking graveyards at night if she wanted to. She'd fit in well enough, at least.

“Hopefully that should be enough for him to know where to look.”
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 12, 2018, 10:19 PM / 499 Words

"I will have you know, I leaned to the side, it was not right in your ear, it may have been close but not that close, so... so... I don't like your pants either." Was that really the only insult he could think of, at the moment? Naturally. Given his still wildly inebriated state, he surmised it was probably to be expected. Well, not to say he was that drunk; it was only half a bottle, and some extra, and Suyis had drunk far more than that and retained his senses. (He thought, at least. Whether that was the truth, or not, that was in the air somewhere.) Most probably, the whistling sounded something like birds, an impression likely only compounded by the fact the two were whistling a two-note melody, very similar to certain birds native to Zetrium. What a conundrum, wasn't it, why would a couple Zetriumese model their whistling codes after birds native to their homeland? Such a strange thing to model them after, wasn't it.

One of Suyis' eyes squinted closed, more amused than anything. The world was always too loud and too quiet, and he'd just gotten used to it. Maybe that was what she meant, he'd gotten used to it, but perhaps she didn't have the same thing as he. That was a concept. Sometimes, Suyis just presumed everyone heard and felt the same things he did, or didn't, as the case may be, and forgot not everyone in the world was like him. Well, that was far too similar to questioning one's existence for his drunken mind to be pleased with.

Only a few minutes later, or it felt like minutes later, a white-haired, dark skinned masculine-looking man hovered to them on a board with a tiny flight core installed in the base. They called those astral boards, and they'd be common across Kardia soon enough. "... what are you doing," Surya asked, levelling his brother with one of those Looks of Minor Disappointment.
"Recruiting!" Suyis cheerily answered. "Mind the mule, she's an alcoholic. This is... this is... er... I don't remember if you told me your name, but this is Surya!"
"I apologise for my brother's terrible sense of manners."
"Hey!"
"I don't know what you've been up to, but it's never any good."
"We're pirates Surya, that's the point."
"Just because we're pirates, Suyis, doesn't mean we have to make asses of ourselves, no offence," Surya added, looking at the mule. "... and recruiting for what?" The crew, obviously, but... ah, never mind. There was time for that later.
Tags: vin suyis