east of eden
March 11, 218
354 Views / 6 Replies
Started by Mysaedra Lucain, Mar 08, 2018, 08:46 PM
Occupation
Heart hunter
Race
Mixed
Even diamonds may be ground to dust in time.
Mar 08, 2018, 08:46 PM / 536 Words

Stupid goddamn jungles and their stupid fucking leaves. And vines. And branches. And - and whatever that was, that thing that looked like an arm if arms were white with three joints and had hands that looked like shells and were the size of a pencil. Maybe two pencils. Was it a leaf? Was it a flower? Was it a fungus that would kill her if she touched it, or a weird animal that's really, really bad at camouflage? Who knows! Who cares!!! It was weird, and Sadie hated it. Okay, hate was a bit of a strong word. Disliked it? Very very disliked it? Not because of what it was, but because it was here.

Only Paskia ranked above Uclain on the list of places Mysaedra would gladly blast off the map, but if the bugs kept trying to make a meal out of her, Uclain might very well bump Paskia off the top of the list. Why was she even here? Right, because if Uclain was good for anything, it was good for finding people who wanted another's heart, or head. Sometimes both. Many of whom happen to be very generous with their gifts. Well, then again it probably seemed like Sadie was after some pretty weird stuff sometime. Gimme all your leftover bones and skin and seeds! And every single berry from this specific bush. And those useless rocks you find in the stream sometimes, no, I don't care how small they are, give them to me. And any feather you can find. Any feather. Kill a bird and pluck it for all I care, as many feathers as you have. Yeah, you know those big fish that are eating all the smaller fish that actually taste good? I want them. The big ones. You'll give them to me for free? Sweet! ... people liked weird things in other countries, but Sadie wasn't about to dictate the will of the market. As long as she could sell it to some hapless soul for a pile of eyes. Or if they could distract Suyis from a dumb, impulsive decision, or herself. Long voyages made her antsy, but hey, she was so good at carving bone and teeth and wood and ivory now.

She squinted at the map, and then into the distance from where she sat on the branch of a tree that identified as a rainbow (Sadie learned to not rest on the ground after the third time a snake tried to eat her), and then reached into her Magical Bag Of Mysterious Magic (aka: Things From Zetrium. And Shuya, And Efrea, But Mostly Zetrium) and pulled up a satellite map of the area. Sigh. She knew where she was going, she was on the right track, it's just. Going.

"No." She irritatedly swatted at a mosquito, and groaned. Nomadic tribes were the worst. After this, she was gonna take a nice, long vacation in Shuya and bury herself in a frozen lake and not come out for a year. Let's see bugs try to bite her there. Ha.
ZirixWritten by Mobutt
No. 5
Occupation
Pirate
Race
Zetriumese
"What I don't like is an unannounced entrance."
Mar 18, 2018, 02:32 PM / 676 Words

Aristocrats suck. Aristocrats fucking suck.

It was something Zirix knew quite well, but had never fully realized until now. It wasn't too much of a stretch to assume they were stuck-up; however, this one could have very well been the second coming of christ. Things only got bad when you had one of them as a client; however, times were changing, Zirix was running low on money, and his connections were starting to shut themselves down like clams. An inside man that was a noble wasn't too shabby, and they would, at least, be guaranteed to pay up. It had failed to cross Zirix's mind of the possibility of royally-assigned Hunters or Seekers tracking him down, but they would kill their beloved Richard as well; they wouldn't want that, would they? Zirix definitely would, but it wasn't something to die for.

"You had better know what you're doing!" Richard exclaimed half-halfheartedly, making Zirix come to an abrupt stop so as to annoy the driver and knock him over-"I'm too royal for seat-belts!"-and triggering a slew of curse words from the noble, who was gearing up to shout at Zirix. "Oops," the pirate said monotonously to the annoyance of Richard who, without warning, suddenly had a gun at his head, making him swallow his words. "Sit. The fuck. Down." He did exactly that, shaking his in coat. "I wouldn't mind skipping dinner tommorow if it means not taking your bullshit," Zirix said softly, keeping his calm demeanor. With the pull of a lever, the Seeker began moving again. "Wear your seat-belt," he said to a terrified Richard. Thank god, he thought.

A few minutes later, about 10 meters off the surface, the two had finally arrived in Rascax Forests, a prime spot for everything illegal. However, he kept his guard-you never know when a Seeker could bomb your ass-and kept a gun at the noble's head again, making doubly sure he wasn't doing anything suspicious. Immediately, Richard burst into tears. "Please don't kill me! Please, please, please, please..." Zirix then chuckled lightly, putting the gun down. "No need. Just making sure of something." The Seeker became stationary and Zirix stood up. "Pussies aren't backstabbers." However, before he opened the door and released the runaway, he noticed the one thing he hated the most: uninvited guests. Or, a trick? A trap from the noble?

Zirix already knew the sound from the Seeker would have long alerted the visitor's of his presence. However, he quickly made a mental rundown of what and who was jacking up his spot. Let's see now: Some woman with a map. No obvious means of transport and a Hunter would have long reduced him to ashes by now. Doesn't seem like too much of a threat and isn't with any weapons-say, what's in that bag? Probably something dangerous. Not to mention, she was a potential ally of Richard and, worse yet, a witness. And witnesses suck. Witnesses fucking suck.

Zirix decided to make an entrance and jumped from the Seeker after hovering down to five meters above ground, landing with hard thud. Richard followed quickly after, of who received a hard swing to his head after he landed. "Sh-she's not with me-I swear! I swear on my father's life!" Zirix gave out a light hmph and kicked him away. "It comes off to me," the pirate shouted, raising his voice with the same tone,"that you're lying. Maybe not," Zirix concluded, shrugging. Hen turned to Suyis, gun in hand. "What about you?"

Occupation
Heart hunter
Race
Mixed
Mar 19, 2018, 07:07 PM / 598 Words

What.

The smart thing to do would probably be to run off the moment she heard the sound of a revving engine. Uclainians didn't use engines, and foreigners in Uclain always meant trouble. Sadie should know; she was a foreigner in Uclain right now, unfortunately, and she was always trouble. The decentralized government of Uclain made it a haven for those on the run from other countries, but usually tried to blend in better...? Maybe whoever was just passing through, though she couldn't really think of any shortcuts this deep into the interior of Uclain. Anyway, nobody ever said that Sadie was smart, but hey, she wasn't dead yet so it had to mean something. Sadie frowned and flicked another mosquito off of her shoulder, eyes trained in the direction of the rumble. Geez, everywhere else always seemed so loud after Uclain or the more rural parts of Shuya, and her ears already run. Annnnnd there she goes, exploding out from beneath the tree cover with appropriate aplomb. Ow. Gills pressed back against the side of her head as Sadie winced and raised one hand to her ear. If a vehicle was this jarring to her, how the hell did Leon stand it on the Har'zaref when his hearing was loads better than hers? Maybe he was just used to it.

Er. This didn't seem like - oh, fuck the gods right up their holy, righteous asses. ... she was definitely spending too much time in Shuya if she was starting to curse in blasphemy. Or maybe not enough. It was just so fun to scandalize the priestesses. When Zirix turned to her, white gills instinctively flared forward in response to a perceived threat before she forced them back down. Man, she really wished they'd stop doing that. Maybe it worked on like... large snakes? Sharks? What kind of natural predators do Glisslaggen even have? But to people with guns, it just made her a bigger target.

"Excuse you," Sadie said, offended. "I know I can get a bit weird, but come on! You don't have to deny knowing me that strongly. I am a delight. You take that back." Well, she didn't know him, but still. Rude. Who were these dudes, anyway... that was Zetriumese technology, and the gun-toting dude seemed to be the one calling the shots here. Pirate? Probably pirate. Bunch of loudmouthed swaggering assholes, pirates, and yes, she included her brother in that description (only one of them though), and cheerfully ignored the fact that it described her just as much. Other dude... noble? Probably Efrean, judging by his clothing, and the fact that he was a he. Then again, the fashions of Efrea and Shuya did occasionally cross over, but he also swore on his father's life, not his mother's soooo... hmm. Lyra might even know him. She'll have to ask her about it, next time they saw each other. Hey, maybe Suyis knew this other dude, too. Sadie frowned and crossed her arms, leaning against the trunk, feeling the dull scratch of soft wood against the pale scales that dotted her shoulders. "Is this like, a lover's spat?" she asked, eyebrows arched over dark blue eyes. "I'd say sorry for the intrusion, but seeing that you two were the ones who intruded on me..."
ZirixWritten by Mobutt
No. 5
Occupation
Pirate
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 19, 2018, 08:33 PM / 712 Words

"A lover's spat?" The pirate asked, only slightly amused. "You tell me. I drive all the way here, and now...you." Zirix turned to a whimpering Richard, then back to Suyis, shaking his head. "It's not possible. You two aren't connected. That makes things simpler. Also, missy? You're being interrogated at gunpoint. Not the best time to give off an attitude, yeah? Trust me on this one," he claimed, slightly loosening his grip on his gun. "It's too easy to pull the trigger on bastards." As he talked, Zirix took his time to take a good look at this intruder. The bag still held special interest to him, because Zirix didn't know what to expect from native Ucla-Uclain? That would be impossible; Suyis had the air of a foreigner, and Uclainians didn't normally have gills. Then again, no one does. There wasn't too much else to the figure, but her sass and confidence implied something else. She didn't come off as too much of an idiot; therefore, the girl must have a trick up her sleeve, something to bail her out-or to kill Zirix with. He wasn't taking any chances with this one. "Zirix. Zirix who-gives-a-shit. Now, empty out your bag. Slowly. Richard, can you-"

Richard was already on top of Zirix, trying to cut his head off with a knife desperately as the two started a very short-lived struggle. Richard got on top of Zirix momentarily, trying desperately to kill him, but only managing to land a deep shoulder stab on him before falling down to the ground. Grunting, Zirix gave a rather whopping elbow to Richard's face, destroying  all of its artificial perfection with blood. Unfortunately, Richard's bitchiness had gotten too him, and Zirix accidentally pulled the gun's trigger. BLAM! He realized his mistake quickly, but what could be done? At least there's one less self-aggravating asshole in the world. "God," Zirix said, grunting, walking around in a circle. "DAMMIT!" He carelessly threw away his gun out of anger. Richard had never giving him the exact whereabouts of the stash of eyes, and god help Zirix if he didn't hide it in his coat. If not, then now he was stuck in this bullshit forest for a while. Oh, and with a witness too. Let's not forget that minuscule tidbit just yet.

He turned back to look at Suyis, the same calm look on his face, except with the obvious notion of suppression of emotion-or rather, a lack of an emotion to express. To be explicit, Zirix's face was pained. Sighing, he took out a handkerchief and started tending to that shoulder injury. Fiddlesticks-Richard had done well, and Zirix wouldn't be able to drive the thing. And it would be too easy for the Seeker to be dumb and crash into a reef or something. Unfortunately, even boarding the ship would be hard, but he couldn't just leave the witness  here and risk her deserting. Zirix didn't feel like letting the job get any uglier. "Look. You...you, you just stay here for now while I get my first aid-kit." He started limping towards the runaway of the Seeker before turning back to deliver one last message. "And empty out the bag before something bad happens. Like me dying." With no rails, he lost his footing and eventually fell down, his face sliding down against the runaway. "Laugh it up."

Well, this was just dandy. The mission was extremely close to being aborted, and now his how business could be shutdown. Unless, by some miracle, she was a pirate too. Passerby don't usually just stumble around these monstrous forests-do they? And even if she wasn't a pirate, she didn't seem like the type to go blabbing off to the zetrium police or something. That would not be good, as they could block the only 'legal' entrance his Seeker had into Zetrium-a horrifying prospect. Now, was it beneath her? He stared into those distant eye's of Suyis.
Occupation
Heart hunter
Race
Mixed
Mar 20, 2018, 07:26 PM / 892 Words

Aw, this one was boring. A nonplussed expression briefly danced past Sadie's face before it settled into something more distant and amused. Well, he wasn't wrong. Being interrogated at gunpoint wasn't the right time to give attitude, but most people didn't expect raunchy jokes from their victim, and anything that gave her assailant pause was an advantage for Sadie. Maybe she should be more worried, but he wasn't the first one to hold a gun up to her head. Besides, if he wanted her dead, wouldn't he have shot her already? Well, that wasn't a very smart move and he knew it, if he was a pirate worth his salt. Maybe mercenary. Whatever. Same thing. He didn't know who she was, didn't know who would miss her absence, and Sadie was very distinctive. Most Glisslaggen stayed within Shuya, even those who were mixed, though some could be found on the high peaks of Zetrium. Her father was probably there somewhere, not that Sadie had any inclination to find him. Certainly, they didn't voluntarily venture into Uclain or dabble in the theft of Hearts. 

... aaaand it was only a matter of time before the noble did something stupid. Being stupid was sort of their thing, huh. In the brief scuffle that ensued, Sadie held the image in her mind, prodded at Lyra. The telepathic connection was a bit fuzzy, but they corresponded often enough that Sadie could still find her even across half the continent. Lyra! Lyra. Hey. Who the hell is this dude?
What? Which one? There are two!
Obviously the rich prat.
I can't really see his face - oh, hmm -
- wait, other dumbass did a thing, tell me later if I'm not dead -

... was he just going to leave that there? Sadie, now sitting on her perch, gave a careless shrug. "Kay," she said, watching Zirix as he went back to - ah, now she remembered what those were called. Seekers! Man, she was a bad Zetriumese for forgetting. Not the worst choice for navigating Uclain, but she doubted that it would last him much further than this. Despite the sky already being more green than blue in this area, the trees were considered sparse, and denser parts of the jungle could only be walked on foot. Well, the nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes had carved out little blocks of jungle that may seem wild and pristine to those unfamiliar with Uclain. It wasn't really a conscious tampering, but it was still tampering. There, the trees were wide enough for humans to walk through, and the plants and herbs beneath their roots just happened to be those considered palatable or favoured by the humans, and large predators were found a little less often. Maybe the Seeker would do better there, but Sadie wouldn't hold her breath. Besides, even as the tribes here were considered base and savage by the wider world, they carried with them their own dangers. She supposed it depended on how familiar Zirix was with Uclain. Right now, he didn't seem like he was, if he'd brought a loud, attention-grabbing Seeker into the forest, but Sadie wasn't so quick to make flash judgements. She'd just seen him carelessly kill a man right before her eyes; there's no way he wasn't a criminal, and all those who dabbled on the wrong side of the law had a couple tricks up their sleeve.

The moment she saw his footing slip, she flicked her hand, and the encasement of ice she had woven around Zirix's gun while his back was turned rose to the air and shot in her direction. "This thing isn't out of bullets, right?" she asked, as it hovered before her, still covered in ice. Sadie didn't want to touch it yet, see: who knew what tricks Zirix still had up his sleeve. As she talked, the ice encasement around it faded from white to blue as she forced out the air and compressed it smaller and smaller, forced the water in the air to harden and compact despite the heat. She didn't need the help of the bracelet woven from the scales of her cousins, hidden under faux leather bracers on her forearm, to help her do this, but it did make it much easier. "Otherwise I'd feel really silly for threatening to shoot you. Not that I am! But hey, it's nice to have the option." She did have her own gun strapped to her back, hidden beneath her bag, but he didn't need to know that. "So how much shit are you in for shooting... what did you call him, Richard? What's a guy like you doing with a guy like him, anyway? Oh, I'm being rude, aren't I?" She waved her hand. "Go on, go fix your shoulder. Unless you'd rather bleed to death. I don't really care one way or another, but I think that's considering you just threatened to shoot me."
ZirixWritten by Mobutt
No. 5
Occupation
Pirate
Race
Zetriumese
Mar 23, 2018, 10:51 AM / 588 Words

The sound of ice crackling. Rather unfamiliar, but still a unique enough side, grabbing the Zetrium's attention and making him look back only to see his gun pointed at him in mid-air. He wasn't dead yet, so that meant she wasn't going to kill him! Yet. Actually, she just seemed to be having...fun. Fun? Pfffft. I mean, Zirix enjoyed his job, but he was guessing that she live off her crime the same way he does.  Now, what to do? Let's cross off the easy stuff first-get his shoulder to stop bleeding. Rather painfully, he dragged a bandage from his pocket after applying some kind of lotion to the wound and wrapped it around his shoulder, sealing it with a pin. The pirate winced, trying to stretch his arm rather unsuccessfully. However, Zirix then got off the runaway and walked towards Sadie, giving off a genuine-yet unnerving-grin. "Well, you've played your cards well." A slow, uncanny sound of liquid metal shifting rang through the air. "But I have my tricks." Zirix swung his arm-the one with the decent shoulder- sharply at the gun. It seemed that the upper half of his arm had morphed in a crude but effect blade, hopefully slicing the gun in half.

As he did so, numerous patches and parts of his body began to lose their exterior human look and reveal gleaming, grey silver instead. Unfortunately, it looked as if Richard's wound had struck a completely non-synthetic location. Zirix's head seemed completely real, though. After doing so, he decided to launch himself into the conversation as well. Why not? He had time to spare and, supposedly, the upper hand. "Let's see here," Zirix uttered softly. "For killing Richard, I usually face...death? He was quite the noble. And this wouldn't be the first guy I've retired. I've been doing this for ten-fifteen years, lady; if they found me now, I'd be dead for sure, without considering another option. Don't have enough to pay  a large fine, anyways. And yes, you are being rude." After the last word, he sharply reached into his other pocket and pulled out a gun with his injured-shoulder arm. "Daddy never leaves home without a spare pistol." Upon saying this, Zirix cringed to myself.

Why didn't he get into the Seeker and blow her to hell? She seemed quite unfamiliar with the vehicle, and may or may not have seen it coming. To be fair, judging from her composure, she was either an idiot or a pirate. Most likely a mix of both, but definitely not civilian-otherwise, he'd know what was in the bag. Actually, hang on; what would be in there worth hiding? A gun? Jewelry? Or-better yet-druz, and lots of it too, although it would seem a shame to kill a not-too-intolerably-annoying madam over 10 red coins. All things considered, doing so would leave no witnesses and Zirix with a heavier wallet. But was she a pirate or not? That changes...not everything, but enough. "Alright, I'm cutting the bullshit. Are you a pirate or not? If not, then what are you doing here? Try not to lie either." Of course, the pirate was sure that his guest was a fellow illegal citizen, but she didn't seem like to fibbing type, and you can never be too sure.
Occupation
Heart hunter
Race
Mixed
Mar 24, 2018, 08:01 PM / 628 Words

Yeah, she figured. Abruptly, Sadie let the gun drop with a dull thunk. It didn't really matter if he hit it or not; the gun would be rendered useless by the melting ice. Still, shame to waste a perfectly good gun. Ah well. It wasn't her gun, so whatever. ... Suyis was definitely getting to her.

"Geez, chill out," Sadie said with a small frown. "You must be the life of the party. I thought pirates were supposed to be fun?" They weren't. She knew that. Well, not all of them, and not all the time. Maybe her brothers had skewed her perception of pirates. When all was said and done, Sadie was much more... ruthless? Hm. No, she just didn't care as much as they did. Or, at least, care about as many things. Skewed sense of empathy or whatever. Yeah. Unfortunately, that blasé attitude did extend to her fear response, but hey! It usually worked in her favour by making people overestimate her capabilities. Or, at least, make them think that she was a bigger danger than she actually was.

Sadie was dangerous, but she wasn't a heedless one. Well, most of the time. And really, while she did get annoyed fairly easily, there were very few things that could actually set her off.

"... did you really call yourself daddy?" She made a face. "Really? Really? Dude." No. That was... no. Eck. If he called himself that again, she might be tempted to actually shoot him. Well, judging from his face he was experiencing some regret, so maybe she wouldn't rub it in, but also, she was not letting this go. Even if they parted ways, after, those in the business had a habit of bumping into each other, and even if it happened ten years after she was so rubbing it in his face. Daddy. Really. Hey, she should tell Suyis and Surya. They were pirates, and they didn't spend two thirds of their time locked away in a lab doing research. They could totally make fun of him for her!

"Pirate? Ha!" She laughed, shaking her head. "Nope! You've got the wrong Lucain, buddy." She was such a rebel, wasn't she, going against the family business? "Maybe you've heard of my brothers? Apparently they're a pretty big deal. Don't tell Suyis I said that, he won't let me hear the end of it." Yeah, inventing airships was sort of a big deal. They weren't really common beyond Zetrium and Efrea, but judging by his prosthetics and the Seeker, Zirix was probably Zetriumese. Sadie did have to admit she was pretty interested in the metallic parts of his body, purely out of curiosity. Bioengineering technology was a rapidly developing field, but still a developing one, and she'd never seen anyone with repairs as extensive as his. Were they repairs, or augmentations? ... geez, what if he spent too long here and rusted or something? That would be unfortunate. Well, she supposed that if his arm did stop working, he could just get a new one. "Those look expensive," she said, nodding at his mechanical parts. "Is this why you became a pirate? Did I unlock your tragic backstory? How are you not overheating?" You know, maybe he had a mechanical heart. That would explain how he could hide it so well, how he seemed to rely so much on technology even for the more common things.
Tags: open