167 Views / 4 Replies
Started by Surya Lucain, Mar 12, 2018, 11:58 PM
Occupation
Dude does what he gotta do
Race
Zetriumese
we must stop killing each other
Mar 12, 2018, 11:58 PM / 782 Words

(This is the result of a thread merger re: i'm the one you're looking for meets matches)

Surya wouldn't consider himself very well-versed in medical knowledge. Actually, he knew very little, but what he did know, did tell him that wasn't a good sign. Dehydration was a dangerous thing, and tricky to deal with sometimes. He expected Kiyo to say something like that, so he just nodded. It was probably for the best; Leon and Kiyo would better know how to deal with it, anyway, and really, Surya was pretty glad they were part of the crew, about now. Stuff like this was almost entirely obvious, if you had any background in such things as first-aide at all, but there were likely to be more complex issues later down the line that neither Surya, nor Suyis, had any idea how to deal with. Barring, of course, Heart problems, but that wasn't anything they could help with; they'd need to see their Heart Crafter for that.

As the girl picked up the pencil, Surya moved around to properly see what she wrote. Meilong Yin. Plum ridge. That was a nice name. "Is just Mei okay?" If it wasn't, he'd stick to her full name. It wasn't as if it was a particularly long name, either, so either way didn't matter to him, but he was also familiar with the Shuyan language. For others that weren't, it may be more second-nature for them to shorten it, and if she preferred them sticking to the longer one, that might be a thing to keep in mind, if only because it wasn't as if she could easily inform them she'd rather they didn't shorten it. In some things, Surya may have to be her voice. He didn't mind that. He was, however, sorely tempted to see if he could get a hold of Sadie. An avalanche sounded like a great idea... but he did need to know where Mei came from, first, and exactly which village up there thought it was a good idea to toss a disabled literal child out on her ass. He wondered how far she'd travelled on her own. It was something of a miracle she'd made it here, on her own.

The Shuyan landscape, often, was harsh and unforgiving. Sometimes, people became such themselves. It didn't excuse it. It didn't excuse it, and if a bloody pirate had a better sense of right and wrong than you did, if a Lucain had a better sense of right and wrong than you did, boy, you messed up.

The Har'zaref jolted slightly, as the actual entrance bay opened; Surya could hear the ship's doors hissing. Judging by the sounds, it was probably Suyis and Lyra. What snatches of conversation he could make out were something pertaining to mules and wind instruments, and something about eating it, instead. Whatever "it" was. "That's probably Suyis," Surya grumbled. "Suyis, did you bring Lyra?"
"Nooooo~" Suyis answered, twirling onto the main deck, Lyra currently attached to his torso, "I brought... hmm, no, still looks a lot like Lyra, whaddaya know, maybe it is Lyra."
Surya raised a hand to his head. Suyis made a tisking sound.
"You look like you need coffee," Suyis said. "... or perhaps a really big bottle of gin."
"Or my brother to pretend to be serious for five seconds, this is your new niece, Meilong."
Suyis glanced down at the girl, thoroughly perplexed. "... she looks nothing like you."
"Well no," Surya retorted. "Agh. She nodded at bath first, I need to get her a bed together, Lyra, would you mind terribly much helping her with said bath? I'm... concerned she might fall asleep amid it, too, but she can't do it easily herself." Jeez.
"The Null the merchants were talking about?" Suyis asked.
"Yeah. She only understands Shuyan."

@Mystique
Meibun
Occupation
Does staying alive count as a job?
Race
Shuyan
No amount of sleep can ease the tiredness I feel.
Mar 13, 2018, 01:39 AM / 878 Words

Blankly, Mei stared at Surya for a second before she blinked slow and nodded. Why wouldn't it be okay? Most people had called her Meimei back at her village. Little sister, among other things. She missed them. The thought was distant, but there, and Meilong held it in her mind, metaphorically chewed it over. It had brought up a memory, her uncle carrying her on his shoulders back when she'd been a brother. He wasn't her actual uncle, but he was, just like every other man in her village, just like every lady was an auntie. Mei remembered being scared, remembered that she'd clung so hard to his hair until he'd threatened to drop her, his hands clamped too rough around her legs. It wasn't on purpose. None of them hurt her on purpose; she was just too fragile. They'd ascended the mountain, and for a second she thought, this was it, they'd finally given up on her, she was too weak and too cumbersome and they'd just drop her off the mountain and be done with her -

And then he'd pointed to the bluff on the other side, rock layered grey-white-purple-red, and said one day, one day she'd be able to move that. Maybe she was weak now, but one day even the mountains would bow down to her. And maybe she could figure out a way to walk, with her magic. Maybe she could manipulate the wind to talk for her, to write upon whichever surface she wanted. At first she had talked with telepathy, but then they wouldn't let her because it was too tied to speech, because it was strange to them how she only talked in pictures. Strange for sight and scent to invade their mind and overtake their senses. It was dangerous, they'd said disapprovingly. Something so strong and immersive should only be used in the case of emergencies, and her wanting to go to the bathroom wasn't an emergency. She hadn't meant to. It was a mistake. But now, she supposed it was a good thing they'd taught her to... that they hadn't taught her to rely on telepathy. It was good. It didn't hurt as much.

She was meant to be strong, except then she got cursed, and it was unfair. The thought was a familiar one, but it seemed more like muscle memory. It didn't hurt. Why didn't it hurt? It should hurt. But it didn't. The memories hadn't hurt, either. Mei held them in her mind, pored over them again and again in exhausted fascination. They were just pictures, now, pictures that were harder and harder for her to actually grasp. Maybe she should be concerned about this, but concern was also a feeling. What should she be feeling? She should be sad. She should be very sad, so sad that she cried like she had for the first few days. When was the last time she cried? She couldn't remember. Maybe she was out of tears. Could tears be used up? It would be nice, to not have to cry again. Abruptly, her head drooped down and she yawned, sinking into the cushions. It was so loud here, but so comfortable.

She was so tired.

A noise jerked her awake, caused her to breathe in a short, sharp gasp that abruptly cut off as her throat burned, and then she was bent over on her side and rasping out soft, dry coughs. There was nothing for her to choke on, but her throat still constricted around nothing and almost made her want to gag. Why did it hurt so much. She couldn't throw up. Probably, she wouldn't, because this wasn't the first time she felt this, but what if. She was already so dirty, she had already left dirt and sweat on their nice soft cushions, she couldn't make them dirtier. Right. A bath. That was why she had to stay awake.

"Woah!" Lyra frowned and let go of Suyis, twisting to face the new girl. "Yeah, I can, but - where's Sexy? Did he already do his - " she wiggled her fingers. " - thing? Should I wait for him?" She had no hand. The stump of her arm was too smooth for it to be a recent injury; did she lose it in her... in her travels? She didn't look to be older than maybe fourteen, more around ten. How long had she been on the street? Her hair was a mess. She smelt like - well. Exactly like someone who hadn't taken a bath in months, and Lyra couldn't help but make a face. She was more concerned about her cough, though, about the mild tremor she could see in her limbs. The steam might do her some good, but... baths could be tiring. She seemed so fragile. Lyra was almost scared that she might fall apart if she touched her.
Occupation
Dude does what he gotta do
Race
Zetriumese
we must stop killing each other
Mar 15, 2018, 10:47 PM / 532 Words

It was worth asking, or at least, he thought so. She nodded, and Surya nodded, too, more to himself, noting it down. So far, she seemed a nice enough kid, relatively easy-going. He wasn't sure if Mei always was, or if she just was at the moment due to being exhausted and dehydrated, or because he'd probably just snatched her away from Death (one day, Death was going to get even, Surya was sure, but perhaps Death wasn't as upset as it seemed it must be, as Surya certainly gave it plenty of others). It was difficult to say. Perhaps it didn't matter. Surya was just going to be glad that, at least right now, Mei wasn't much of a fusser. It made it difficult, to get things done, around people that fussed too much. Surya wasn't someone that had much patience for particularly annoying fussers, either. It was, perhaps, beside the point.

Oh, shoot, that may not be good. Please don't throw up, please don't throw up, not because I mind but because I don't think that's a good idea... It went through his head in rather the fleeting flash, and Surya himself hardly registered he'd thought it. The concept was still there; given how thin she already was, losing whatever was still in her stomach may not be very good. Fortunately, Mei didn't, and Surya probably looked a hair relieved.

"He has," Surya answered, relaxing a bit. "She is dehydrated, and Kiyo is presumably talking to Leon about her dietary needs for the next two months to twenty years." Of course, anyone that knew anything about Leon, knew he wasn't joking, not in the slightest. Many insisted it must be some kind of gross exaggeration, but, it never was, with the ilim. To whatever end, and for whatever reason, Leon had a thing about making sure those he knew and cared about ate right. Surya theorized, at least in part, it likely had something to do with Leon needing to feel useful, as if he were contributing in a meaningful manner, but, often he was, even without the incessant fussing. Surya rather quite liked him, either way, so he didn't mind the constant fussing. At least it wasn't the irritating type of fussing.

"I heard about her after tradesman gossip finally drifted to Zetrium through the grapevine. She's very light, you should have no trouble managing her weight." Albeit, that was, perhaps, not the most pressing concern, but, Surya was ignoring that one, for right now. "Suyis, perhaps you could toss something together to help her get around on her own? I'm not sure her legs will hold her, though. I don't know what's wrong with them. Moving in general seems to be painful for her." Most likely, Kiyo would know what was wrong, everything that was, eventually, but first the girl needed some broth and some sleep.
a sage to some
Occupation
Sky Pirate/Inventor
Race
Zetriumese
Don't love what you can't trust. Don't hate what you can't have. Don't say what you can't show. Don't judge what you don't know.
Mar 16, 2018, 03:07 PM / 509 Words

Well.

You know, their thing, if they were to have a thing besides general catch-all pirating and ruffling of the noble castes' skirts (figuratively, or literally), was picking up random strays off the street. Nine times out of ten, these strays were either orphaned, Blighted, or both. For whatever reason he may have, Surya was rather partial to the Blighted ones, intent on helping them, but Suyis sort of figured it went a bit farther than that (he did know Sadie was studying the Blight itself, and, to get anywhere with such an endeavour, one would need individuals having of the Blight to study, no?). In most things his siblings got up to, Suyis tended to turn a blind eye. Essentially, the less he knew, really, the better, but both were adults by now, could take care of themselves, and being frank about it, what they got up to was their own business.

He'd likely failed, in many ways, as an older brother, but, in hindsight, he wasn't terribly sure either of them would've taken particularly well to his interference at any point, anyway.

"... wheels then, probably," Suyis murmured, more to himself. He probably had enough scrap metal in the back of the Har'zaref to build the frame. The wheels may be more complex, but he also might have some spare rubber. They didn't need to be aired, just have enough grip against the wood and metal floors that it wouldn't slide. Smaller spaces would probably be difficult for her to get into either way, so he wasn't going to worry too much about it - most likely, she'd never really need to, anyway, so it probably didn't really matter, in the long run. Odd the girl seemed to want a bath first, but who knew what she'd picked up on the street, anyway. Could be a good idea, if only to minimise potential for getting sick on top of everything else.

She'd need clothes if she was - "Yeah, I'm gonna need some stuff though," she wasn't very tall... maybe something breathable, he wasn't sure what sorts of clothes she'd prefer, but this was mostly just so she had something to wear for right now. When they got to Zetrium and she was in better shape, they could go to market and let her pick out her own clothes. Suyis shuffled over, stood beside her, comparing, seemingly, his arm to hers. It was more of a measure than a comparison, but, whatever conclusion he came to, he said nothing, nodded once, and then headed back toward the entrance bay. "I'll be back in a few minutes, I've got the scrap metal for a wheelchair but I need some rubber. Shouldn't take long, I'm mostly sober at the moment." Mostly.
Silvertongued
Occupation
Socialite
Race
Efrean
I am both the sword and sheath.
Mar 16, 2018, 05:46 PM / 714 Words

Okay. Good. That was... good. Kiyoshi wasn't here himself, so there were likely no pressing matters to attend to, but. Lyra knew that the most awful looking cases usually weren't on the verge of death, unless they were covered in spurting gashes. Meilong could still cough, which meant her muscles were still working, and she was slightly gasping for breath, pain in the small furrow of her brow, so she could still feel pain. Plus, she could understand them. The ones who were really gone didn't seem to notice the fast shutter-rattle of their lungs, couldn't hear when people spoke to them or even touched them; they just laid there, bloated bellies and shrunken skin clinging tight to their bones. Kiyoshi had told her (actually, he had told Surya, but... did it count as eavesdropping when both of them could see where she was?) that when it came to starvation, irritability was actually a good sign. It started there, then, as the body used up more and more of its energy stores, spread to delirium and fatigue and apathy. Senses fell numb, and your body got colder, and everything was too bright, too dark, too loud, too quick. It actually sounded similar to the way Suyis described how it felt to be Null. Was the Blight just starvation of magic? To be fair, magic worked on a different system from the body, but. How must it feel to be affected by both?

Lyra tapped her lip and tilted her head, a habit she consciously cultivated when using telepathy to make herself seem more predictable. Hey, hotstuff. Do you know what's wrong with Meilong's legs?
Ah. Is that her name?
Oh, you didn't know? I guess you must've left before she wrote it down.
Indeed. And no, I don't. Not yet. From what I've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be any bruising, but it might be covered by her dress. I'll need to give it a closer look.

Huh. Well, the girl was right here, and she at least understood Shuyan, and Lyra didn't need to know what was wrong, she just needed to know if she could move her. She waited until Suyis was done and knelt on the ground next to the girl so that they were at eye level. "Hey," Lyra asked, making sure to speak slower, to be mindful of how her tongue tapped out Shuyan's lighter consonants. "Are you sure you want a bath first, before food or a nap? It's okay if you changed your mind." She waited for Meilong's slow nod. "Okay. I can help with that. I just have a question for you. Will it hurt your legs if I bend them?" Pause, and Meilong shook her head, though it was very hesitant. Lyra kept her expression relaxed and neutral, though inside she frowned. She debated for a bit on the best thing to ask, then, "Can you bend them by yourself?"

Meilong seemed to puzzle over her question, before she cautiously stretched them a little and looked up at Lyra, hesitant and unsure. She gave her a quick smile and tapped her lip again. She can move them by herself! That's good, right?
Yes. Do you need to move her somewhere?
Surya said she wanted a bath.
Don't. Wait for Leon and I to bring her some food first, otherwise she might faint.
... oh. That's not good.
No. Just give us a few more minutes.

Lyra blinked as her connection with Kiyoshi fizzled. Yeah, fainting would definitely not be good. "Sorry! The cute doctor said you have to eat first. But it shouldn't take long, now." She shrugged, and sat down on the floor at the foot of the chair. "I knooow, he's no fun. But it's his job to make sure we don't die, so I guess we should listen to him."
Tags: surya suyis meilong lyra